Hi! I’m Jamie
37, northern British Columbian, LOVE running and not drinking! I also love food, swimming, nature, meditation, self-development, and exploring new places, near or far. I’m a cat-mom, wife, daughter, sister and friend. I was a pharmacist who went back to school in 2018 to become a massage therapist. Best decision I’ve ever made, and there’s no WAY I would have made it if I were still getting drunk on the regular.
After abusing alcohol for about fifteen years, in 2015 I finally gave it the boot. Since then I have theoretically achieved mastery status in sobriety three times over – +30,000 waking hours of practice! I now consider myself an expert. Over this time I took up distance running, have run 13 marathons and and over 25 half marathons, and other distances, grew the balls to quit the profession I hated, got a new one, started a business and got a much better handle on my mental health, just to name a few things!
Now it’s 2022 and I still have many more goals. My BIG running goal has always been to to one day qualify for the Boston Marathon, which was temporarily set aside for various reasons like education and global pandemic. In June 2022, I DID IT! My big sobriety goal is to expand my reach with respect to being an advocate for a sober lifestyle through offering more support and changing peoples’ views about sobriety! I am now offering coaching services! I can help you embrace a sober lifestyle with confidence and pride so you feel better, save money and have more time and energy.
My background includes
- University degree in pharmaceutical sciences (University of British Columbia, 2009)
- Diploma in massage therapy (Okanagan Valley College of Massage Therapy, 2020)
- >500 hours yoga teacher training (Modo Yoga International 2013, YYoga 2013)
- Completion of 6-week Getting Unstuck course, pilot class 2016 (the Sober School)
- Completion of Sober Jumpstart, 2016 (Tired of Thinking About Drinking)
- Tutoring students in physiology, musculoskeletal anatomy and neuroanatomy
- Working with coaches in the areas of Women’s Confidence (Absolute Confidence), Distance Running (Lifelong Endurance) and Holistic Business Practice (Massage by Mir Consulting)
- over 30,000 hours of sober lifestyle practice
- an unwavering commitment to this sober lifestyle thing
Alongside the topics of sobriety and running, this blog is often a place for general reflection about confidence and mental health, plus learning and inspiration. It may be a training log at times, collection of more race reviews and recaps, travel diary and anything else I feel like writing about, like growth and LIFE.
Hope you can relate in one way or another, and enjoy! xo